The 2020 application period is now closed for the JOHN R. JUSTICE STUDENT LOAN FORGIVENESS Program. Please check back for future application periods or contact SCCPC Director of Business Services and Communications, Andrea C. Sancho-Baker with questions.
The John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program authorized in Public Law 110-315, Part JJ, dated August 14, 2008, 42 USC 3797cc-21, provides loan repayment assistance for state and federal prosecutors and public defenders who agree to remain employed as prosecutors and defenders for at least three years. Repayment benefits cannot exceed $10,000 in a calendar year with a total aggregate not to exceed $60,000. The South Carolina Commission on Prosecution Coordination administers the John R. Justice loan forgiveness funding and awards for South Carolina.
Eligible education loans include:
- Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) Loans
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans
- FFELP and Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
- FFELP and Direct Consolidation Loans
- Federal Perkins Loans
Non-eligible loans include:
- Federal Parent PLUS Loans
- Federal Consolidation Loans used to repay Federal Parent PLUS Loans
- Defaulted student loans
- Non-federal student loans (private, commercial or alternative student loans)
- Any eligible loan that has been paid in full