The John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program authorized in Public Law 110-315, Part JJ, dated August 14, 2008, 42 USC 3797cc-21, provides loan repayment assistance for state and federal prosecutors and public defenders who agree to remain employed as prosecutors and defenders for at least three years. Repayment benefits cannot exceed $10,000 in a calendar year with a total aggregate not to exceed $60,000. The South Carolina Commission on Prosecution Coordination administers the John R. Justice loan forgiveness funding and awards for South Carolina.
Applications for the 2019-2020 award year are forthcoming. Please check back periodically for updates.
Eligible education loans include:
- Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) Loans
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans
- FFELP and Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
- FFELP and Direct Consolidation Loans
- Federal Perkins Loans
Non-eligible loans include:
- Federal Parent PLUS Loans
- Federal Consolidation Loans used to repay Federal Parent PLUS Loans
- Defaulted student loans
- Non-federal student loans (private, commercial or alternative student loans)
- Any eligible loan that has been paid in full